Can anyone help


New Member
I recently got this yearling. I am a little concerned about his offside hoof/leg. He is not lame, any suggestions.


  • received_735494154635270.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 50


New Member
I'm sorry to hear about your yearling's leg issue. While I can provide some general advice, it's crucial to consult with a veterinarian for a proper assessment and recommendation. Here are some general steps you can take:

  1. Immediate Care: If the swelling has just occurred, consider cold hosing the area for 15-20 minutes. Cold water can help reduce inflammation and swelling.
  2. Limit Movement: Keep your yearling in a smaller, confined space to prevent excessive movement, which might exacerbate the issue.
  3. Examine for Injuries: Gently check the leg and hoof for any obvious injuries, wounds, heat, or punctures. If you find any open wounds, clean them gently with a mild antiseptic.
  4. Check for Lameness: Observe your yearling's gait. If he's limping or refusing to put weight on the leg, it's a clear sign that he's in pain.
  5. Avoid Medication Without Vet Approval: Don't administer any medication, even non-prescription ones, without consulting a veterinarian.
  6. Consult a Veterinarian: It's essential to get a professional assessment. A veterinarian can provide an accurate diagnosis and recommend treatments, which may include anti-inflammatories, pain relief, or other specific care.
  7. Regular Monitoring: Keep an eye on the swelling and any other symptoms. If it gets worse or if new symptoms appear, reach out to your veterinarian immediately.
  8. Hoof Care: Consider consulting with a farrier, especially if the issue seems related to the hoof's structure or if the leg's bending seems connected to a hoof problem.
  9. Stay Calm and Comfort Your Yearling: Animals can sense stress and anxiety. Stay calm, talk to your yearling in a soothing voice, and ensure he feels safe and comforted.
In horse care, it's always better to err on the side of caution. If in doubt about your yearling's health, always seek professional advice.


New Member
Your yearling appears to be clubfooted. There is a surgery that one can do, not sure of the time limit on age so you would have to ask your vet.