fused fetlock

ashlee

ok well i posted something up here a month or two back about my sore gelding and we had a vet come out and have a look at him and he said the problem was in the foot since he has a bit of bruising.

today we took him to another vet as we thought different and it turns out to be his fetlock has no cartilage left so its bone on bone at the moment this has only been like this the last 2 weeks at the most. vet said it could take a month or so to fuse or even up to a few years but atm he is at his worst & he has been and he said it will get worse before it will get better but he was walking pretty well this morning & afternoon but only on the hard ground not on the sand. atm he is on a small amount of bute daily as the vet recommened and is on other stuff kinda forgotten the names since they are way to long. he is still him self being a very strong willed & happy horse & eating well like always & today was walking around like he owned the place even tho he had a little limp & only mid last week cantered off like an idiot in the paddock and did a massive buck & kick like his younger days...

i was wondering if anyone has any good advice with the shoeing of the horse so his fetlock doesnt fuse weird like some of the pictures i have seen today :(

if worst comes to worst i will have to say good by to my great friend & family member but vet did not say he needs to be put down atm

Last edited:

Ali

You'd be best talking to your vet AND your farrier regarding this, they will know what the best thing is for your boy. Hope he does improve for you.

Diana

Sounds similar to what my retired horse has.....

He just hangs out in the paddock with the sheep now. So lucky my dad doesn't mind :)

Claireb

Fetlock

Hi

I can't see how altering the shoeing would help. Keeping the foot correctly balanced so that the bones/ joints in the leg are correct would be my thoughts.

Well done for getting a second opinion and well done to the vet for spotting it.

ashlee

my dad is the farrier so atleast he will do a good job since its his old racehorse and he cares alot about him & i didnt mean shoeing i meant trimming his feet. when i was writing this thread i was half asleep hahaha..

i would like a little advice from people that have had horses with this problem so it will help me think positive even if the advice is negative anything would help!

i have been reading up on it all night and have found good & bad results but most bad results wer from the joint not being looked after which in his case he is very looked after and watched very carefully.

Last edited:

sleeknstylish

Has the vet injected with Depo to speed up the fusing?

I had one horse over 10 years ago with a fused front fetlock. He had 5 lifetime starts for 4 wins and a second. Retired due to a tendon injury, that may or may not have been related.

My parents own a horse now with a fused hind fetlock. It started as a MASSIVE bone chip (two vets said to euthanase or retire to a paddock, one rogue vet said to spell horse and then put back into work. Rogue vet was the trainers' own vet, so his advice was followed).
Horse was put back into work, won/placed about 3 from 5 starts, then pulled up sore and stood down pending vet clearance.
Horse has now been in paddock 6 or so months and joint has since fused. It is twice the size of a normal joint. Horse is not sound, but seems happy 'enough'.
Trainer plans to put him back into work (some day, when he bothers to come pick it up....)#(

As far as hoof care goes, just keep it correctly balanced. Regular trims, just the norm.

ashlee

Has the vet injected with Depo to speed up the fusing?

I had one horse over 10 years ago with a fused front fetlock. He had 5 lifetime starts for 4 wins and a second. Retired due to a tendon injury, that may or may not have been related.

My parents own a horse now with a fused hind fetlock. It started as a MASSIVE bone chip (two vets said to euthanase or retire to a paddock, one rogue vet said to spell horse and then put back into work. Rogue vet was the trainers' own vet, so his advice was followed).
Horse was put back into work, won/placed about 3 from 5 starts, then pulled up sore and stood down pending vet clearance.
Horse has now been in paddock 6 or so months and joint has since fused. It is twice the size of a normal joint. Horse is not sound, but seems happy 'enough'.
Trainer plans to put him back into work (some day, when he bothers to come pick it up....)#(

As far as hoof care goes, just keep it correctly balanced. Regular trims, just the norm.

nar he never got a depo injection. hmm... might ask about it! Vet said he is a very lucky boy to get where he is today as he was meant to be put down 3 years ago as a vet injecting his joint & infecting it.

apparently he would never come good but luck went his way after being locked up for 6 months and 6 months later he was great we would get xrays twice a year and everything was fine and the vets couldnt believe it but now 2 years down the track the cartilage is worm down but only 8 months ago he got an xray so this was very raped but i think a fused fetlock is 100 times better then him getting the re-infected joint gee.. i dont even what to think about what he went thru but he is a very strong willed horse he will never give up!! gee.. he was a fantastic horse to watch race would never give up just like now!

hmm... think im going to watch a few races now and get a tear in my eye.

Last edited:

ashlee

alot of people have said put him down but they are all racing people that have no heart! but is it true what i have read on the net & the vet even said they are in less pain or even no pain after the joint has been fused? aslong as it have fused correctly...

if he ends up happy & health after the fushion is it alright to put him on a 20acre paddock to retire with my old boy since he will be in total retirement in the next 3-4 years so they would go up together.. obviously will still keep up to date with his trimming etc. our property is only 20 mins from mine anyways so isnt to far away. i just need to think of the future aswell.

sleeknstylish

He will learn to alter his gait to compensate for the fused joint.
The new action may result in some soreness elsewhere, but only time will tell, and you need to be the judge if you need to do anything about that.

He may require no 'help' whatsoever, in which case, he will live a happy retirement, roaming your paddock :))

(be careful not to stereotype. Most "race horse" people do indeed 'have a heart')

ashlee

He will learn to alter his gait to compensate for the fused joint.
The new action may result in some soreness elsewhere, but only time will tell, and you need to be the judge if you need to do anything about that.

He may require no 'help' whatsoever, in which case, he will live a happy retirement, roaming your paddock :))

(be careful not to stereotype. Most "race horse" people do indeed 'have a heart')

nar im not stereotyping im a racing person myself and so is my father who cares about every single horse we have! he has a hard time like myself letting go off a racehorse that has grown on him!

a good example is Andross & Ollie (who is the horse we have been talking about). we bought Andross as a racehorse when he was 7 year old & now hes 17 & he still gets feed, rugged, bushed & ridden every few weeks bahaha! Then Ollie. we havent had him aslong as Andy only 4-5 years but he has cost dad alot of money at least $5g since his infection but he is happy to pay for it since he won us $20,000 in the short time he was racing with us.. & he was a fantastic personality!

but i guess we dont have many horses so thats why it doesnt bother us to keep them & pay out money and we only train our own racehorses not anyone elses so i know where the other race people are coming from but really they should mind ther own business since they know how im like with my retired boys :D

Last edited:

I hope his joint fuses well and is pain free. But one other thing to think about which I have gone through and hoping it is not the same. I had worked with a horse awhile ago that started to go sore in his fetlock we had it injected and the vet thought by the feel that he had been done a few times before. Lasted over 12 months before going sore again so he was retired to me as a pet (very attached to him) After a few weeks bute did not help so had 3 vets look at him lots of $$$$ no source could be found so they said joint must be fusing. Another 2 weeks couldn't let him be in pain anymore so PTS the vets took his leg to autospy and found that the bones in the fetlock joint was rotting from the inside out they think caused by the joint injections.#(

ashlee

I hope his joint fuses well and is pain free. But one other thing to think about which I have gone through and hoping it is not the same. I had worked with a horse awhile ago that started to go sore in his fetlock we had it injected and the vet thought by the feel that he had been done a few times before. Lasted over 12 months before going sore again so he was retired to me as a pet (very attached to him) After a few weeks bute did not help so had 3 vets look at him lots of $$$$ no source could be found so they said joint must be fusing. Another 2 weeks couldn't let him be in pain anymore so PTS the vets took his leg to autospy and found that the bones in the fetlock joint was rotting from the inside out they think caused by the joint injections.#(

shit sorry to hear about that! Its so hard losing a pet/part of the family i dont think i could do it anytime soon but if it comes to that i will suck it in and make the massive decision! :(

vet said it should naturally fuse but he doesnt no how long it will really take and thats the only problem with him at the moment so fingers & toes crossed for Ollie! he wasnt sore yesterday and even walking in the sand like a gem but this morning you can tell he was feeling it a little bit but i have a feeling its from the cold! but hes still him self happy as larry and nipping when he gets his rugs changed lol

Caroline

Put him on Pentosan for life and add some Chia to his feed. This should help him to be paddock sound and more comfy.**)

sleeknstylish

If the issue is 'bone on bone', Pentosan won't help. The ailment is too far advanced for that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it......

Also, GRIC, any idea if your horse had had Depo injected, or a c. steroid and/or HA?

Long term 'planned' use of Depo will advance the fusing.

The other IA drugs are 'complimentary' (comparatively, lol). But, long term use can result in the joints being more difficult to inject (tighter joint space).

Hen

What good would Chia do :confused: Agreed with Sleeknstylish, Depo jabs would be your best bet, depending on what the initial joint issue was that he was being treated for.

ashlee

i forgot to tell dad about the depo injections!
Vet gave dad a hole heap of powders & pastes to use on him that apparently will help!
BUT i have totally forgotten the names of them they have gone in one ear and out the other!

thanx everyone for your help! :D

when the joint has fused i will have to put a thread up **) or if he didnt get thru it! #(

ashlee

Oh dear Ash:D

Your Dad has donated more to the vet's christmas party this year*#)

Keep us updated:))

hahaha sleek you made me crack up when i read this!

lucky our 2 year old Copagrin won a few races not that long ago so hes paying for Ollies vet bills hahaha

If the issue is 'bone on bone', Pentosan won't help. The ailment is too far advanced for that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it......

Also, GRIC, any idea if your horse had had Depo injected, or a c. steroid and/or HA?

Long term 'planned' use of Depo will advance the fusing.

The other IA drugs are 'complimentary' (comparatively, lol). But, long term use can result in the joints being more difficult to inject (tighter joint space).

Yes he had depo the day after he retired when they did autopsy about 8 weeks later they was no sign of any fusing only that the joint was worn and when bone was cut the bone looked like it was rottening from the inside was told looked like an aero bar chocolate. The vets said his joint wouldn't of fused and if hadn't been put to sleep joint would of snapped. All 3 vets that did autospy had never seen or heard of this before.

ashlee

spoke to dad about depo yesterday and he said yeh that will help but it stuff the joint for 2-3 days.. but he reckons what he is getting now does the same thing..