Injection To Make Horse Shed Coat?

Hayley

I have heard there is an injection the stockfeeders sell that you can give to your horse to make them shed their coat... I have tried googling but am unsure of the name so am coming up with nothing??

My question is has anyone used it, and are there any side effects/potential hazards of giving this to your horse, as i'm thinking it cant be good for them?

Thanks

Hayley

It's called Duracil or something? Not sure of spelling... and its just something I have heard

crave

If there is such a product, I could never think of giving it to an animal you loved and cared for :(

Z

ZaZa

It's an organic form of arsenic with low toxicity.
I've never used it but know plenty of people who have and their horses have never shown any ill-effects. Each to their own. :}

Jurocyl Injection

Hayley

Did you horse also shed its coat Madison or was it not winter when you used it?

Was there any noticeable side effects?

Sugar's Mum

back in the dark ages lol around 1985 I was preping my horse for the show. A lady who had been in horses her whole life said to me.

Give 1 pint of linseed oil in a feed
Give one teaspoon of nux vomica in his feed every day.

So I did. I got the nux vomica from the vet and proceeded to follow the advice.

Well his coat was SO shiny you could see your face in it.

Nux vomica is a compound of strychnine and acts as an appetite stimulant and coat conditioner.

It worked beautifully but I would never do it again.

The linseed oil was to shift the coat.

madison

I never saw a coat shed from it but I wasn't giving it for that reason and a different vet put him on hormone shots and they where far more effective

NLEC

We need to remember, animals products simply to NOT have the same levels of stringent testing, and therapeutic reccomendation pass requinrmtnent that humans products have.

Just because you can by it, does not mean it is good - and it does not mean it is legal.

It just means that they have not yet passed a law to say it IS illegal, and they have not yet discovered how bad it is from correct research and monitored testing.

I will say it again, and probably again and again and again.....

NATURAL does not mean good.

Mercury is natural, Blow fish are natural, and so is the Hednra Virus. None of these are safe in 'natural form' - if not prepared in a way that makes them less than natural - they are deadly to consume.

Natural does not mean harmless.

Last edited:

Hayley

I never said I was even considering using it, just wanted more info, now that I know the name I have googled and there are some horrible stories... Certainly would never compromise my horses health just for showing.

Which is why he isn't being clipped - he was clipped last season and his skin is too sensitive, all his hair fell out and he went bald on the stomach and was extremely unhappy - all rugs rubbed no matter what I tried, which is why I will never clip him again, and yes he is under lights - still grown a bit of a coat :( not much else I can do tho! He gets intensively groomed but the coat isn't shifting.

NLEC

Thats okay Hayley :)

You did say in you OP that you didn't think it was a very healthy thing - which most of us agree on :p

I think most of the elaborated information in this thread, and definitely for mine, has been put there for the benefit of the horses owned by those who may be reading, or searching this at a later date **)

Ponies4Me

Just a suggestion for you Hayley.

Turn the lights off now, back the rugs off and let him grow whatever he wants for a coat, then put the lights back on. Idea is that it will trigger an early coat drop for you.

Or with the clipping did you use a close cutting blade? Something that cuts longer and leaves more hair on can sometimes work, less irritating on the skin. Might be worth trying a sample area that won't show?

Leti loves Elmo

It is a good product. We give it to the pacers. It doesn't literally just make their hair for out but does minimise it. It helps in coat shine and general allround condition aswell. Its far from a cruel treatment. Especially compared to some show prep methods.

Its no different to putting lights on a horse late. You need to rug accordingly

Blackbat

As an aside- I thought the findings after hair analysis of Phar Lap's hide a few years ago suggested chronic arsenic poisoning. Likely caused by the 'tonics' administered by his vet. If it is a common ingredient in appetite stimulants and coat conditioners, doesn't mean it can't be harmful or fatal.