QH/Appy breeding question

Late Starter

My horse Benny that I've just bought is not branded and I'm a little confused about his breeding so thought maybe someone can give me some insight. The previous owner is under the impression that he is a QH x Appy.

His sire is "Winston Down Elijah" and his dam is "Nez Perc Papoose". The mother looks appy (grey with the spots that Benny has now) but when Benny was born he was a chestnut with a white blanket over his bum. The previous owner thought the appy side was from the dam (granddad was UK imported "Kyloe of Woodrow") and the QH from the sire however the little I've been able to find on the web has the sire listed under the Australian Appaloosa Association studbook too so I presume he is Appy (could he be QH X with Appy and still be registered?). I can't find any info about the dam so am just going off the photo's I have. The sire is from a stud called "Winston Downs Stud" in Kenmore, QLD but can't find out any info on them.

For those that know about breeding, in particular QH and Appaloosas, can you give me any ideas about how I could go about finding out more info on him please besides just putting the names into google. I'm a curious person and interested in finding out more info and background (I don't know much about his past) on my new boy :D.

QHfan

Hey LS, yes an Appy can be crossed with an QH and be registerable- the AAA will register him as dam and sire unknown but it doesnt matter coz he's a gelding...Just email them and explain that hes an Appy with unknown parentage and they will sort out the paperwork with you!!!!!:):):) Good luck..:)

kiraSpark

An appy cant be registered with the AQHA though.
Quote from AQHA website: We do not accept Paints, Appaloosas, Pintos, Standard Breds, Pony breeds and Draught breeds into the Studbook Register, Appendix Register or Foundation Recording system.

Good luck finding out any info on him.

PS, The Nez Perce are an American Indian tribe and they were famous for their horses and appys in particular, so its a very safe bet that the dam, with a name like that, was an appy.

Elanda

Here is your horses mum:)*

Nez Perce Papoose Appaloosa hope it helps**)

and his pedigree is very interesting and it seems controversial..if you click on some of his ancestors way back:)

Can't find dad anywhere:(

Last edited:

QHfan

Well LS, i think you should share a pic of this lovely Appy with us all so we can see him......Please????:):):)

Late Starter

Well if you insist here's a couple of piccies of him...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z190/TrinaBlum/Benny/IMG_1687.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z190/TrinaBlum/T lesson 19Dec/IMG_1741.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z190/TrinaBlum/T lesson 19Dec/IMG_1749.jpg

I'll have to get a better close up of him to show his spots up a little better. A friend has come up with the show name of "Choc Chip" for him; seems to suit. I also don't have to worry about keeping his socks white because he's got 4 chestnut socks; so it's just the rest of his body I have trouble keeping clean :D.

Thanks Goodie for the pedigree of his mum (not sure what you mean by controversial :confused:) but I notice when I clicked on progeny there's only one listed and that isn't Benny (alot older than Benny). Why would Benny not be listed (as you can see I have alot to learn about the breeding side of things)?

His sire I could only find in the Australian Appaloosa Assoc stud book but nowhere else. The sire's dad "Kyloe of Woodrow" is very unusual looking - basically a grey with heaps of brown splotches and spots (easily tripple what Benny has), would he perhaps be classed as "leopard"?

So from all that then I take it that Benny is actually straight Appaloosa, not X QH (not that it makes any difference to me).

Last edited:

Boo's Eclipse

He wouldn't be listed as progeny because he's not registered.

I would (not that I'm an expert on appaloosa's) class benny as leopard. Or perhaps semi-leopard as his spots are more blended at the front. But then that could also be classed as an extensive blanket.

Do you have pics of mum & Dad?

Dad could very well be QH x Appy, just not registered as a QH, as he wouldn't be eligible, but is for AAA.

Elanda

By controversial I meant if you click on the names of some of his ancestors there has been notations saying that one thing and the pedigree says another:) For example if you click on Desert King it says this " Color: blk

Unregistered

Foaled either 1922 or 1923. Updated 09/14/08: The photo here is that of TAVISHEEN, the stallion stood and leased by Myrtle & Ed Brown, Arbuckle, CA. It is possible that DESERT KING and TAVISHEEN are one in the same, however, additional research is required. The pedigree of this horse should be Unknown at this point in time.

however the pedigree goes back for more generations. I guess not so much controversial as probably hearsay and different opinions of people**)

kaledan

My horse Benny that I've just bought is not branded and I'm a little confused about his breeding so thought maybe someone can give me some insight. The previous owner is under the impression that he is a QH x Appy.

His sire is "Winston Down Elijah" and his dam is "Nez Perc Papoose". The mother looks appy (grey with the spots that Benny has now) but when Benny was born he was a chestnut with a white blanket over his bum. The previous owner thought the appy side was from the dam (granddad was UK imported "Kyloe of Woodrow") and the QH from the sire however the little I've been able to find on the web has the sire listed under the Australian Appaloosa Association studbook too so I presume he is Appy (could he be QH X with Appy and still be registered?). I can't find any info about the dam so am just going off the photo's I have. The sire is from a stud called "Winston Downs Stud" in Kenmore, QLD but can't find out any info on them.

For those that know about breeding, in particular QH and Appaloosas, can you give me any ideas about how I could go about finding out more info on him please besides just putting the names into google. I'm a curious person and interested in finding out more info and background (I don't know much about his past) on my new boy :D.
Hi I knew Kyloe as a tri colored leopard as I worked on Winston Downs as teenager.