Roan faces?

Sassy

Gold Member
One of the foals by my mums stallion has obvious roaning on his face! If I didnt know better my first thought would be 'he is going grey!' but his sire is Blue Roan, and mum is a solid bay/brown! No colour breeding (apart from roan) in either pedigree.

I was curious if this was common? I didnt think that it was, is it a poor example of the 'roan gene', or is it some other factor?
I once knew of a Miniature stallion once that looks this way but I assumed since the mini pedigrees are like rainbows and rarely accurate that he was a sabino of some kind, but now who knows!

Here is some pics.
FBE8E5E9-366C-4F02-873F-174E04EBAEA2-12551-00001684582C7D4D.jpg

He is still dropping his foal coat (hence the patchiness!) but it will be very interesting to see what he looks like once he is finished shedding his coat!

:)

I dont know anything about Roan (cant even figure my own filly out LOL) but wanted to say he is just divine! Not a QH person but I really like him in the pic wih his mum. He has such a pretty face :)

Coliban Quarter Horse Stud

It does happen, not very often though. It depends on how roan roan he is! lol!
Some have more, louder roaning than others, they tend to have more white hairs on the head.
I have 2 red roans, one has NO white hairs above the throat latch, the other is nearly all grey in the head.

Sassy

Gold Member
Thanks Lena, I hoped you would pop in! I wasnt sure how common it was in roans! Before Smoothy we had never owned or bred roan, its quite interesting to see the different extremes between the different foals!

MV I cant work out some of them either! I have seen pics of your filly and cant say one way or the other! They do have a Roan color test now I think tho! **)

Sassy

Gold Member
Just had to share this updated pic of the above mentioned colt, I have never been a fan of the strawberry roan but I just love his colour!!

B69315F2-23C8-40E3-908F-B93029E789AF-27735-00002DB4379EDE78.jpg

wattle6180

How could you not be a fan of the Strawberry Roan :blink: That little guy's stockings are to die for :wub:

I have thoughts of him outfitted in cherry tack with LOTS of silver, blinding socks....mmmm pleasure horse**)

Sassy

Gold Member
Hahah i think it's my aversion to anything chestnut :p never let it get in the way of spotting a nice horse tho, I just prefer the colour bay!

Top Bottom